Saturday, August 05, 2006

Dr. Wolfram

As I have said earlier, I loved the chance to be home and to visit everyone. I also loved all of the delicious foods that I ate. Upon my return to Taiwan, I realized that I indulged a little bit too much on all of this great food.

I think in total I gained close to 10 pounds in that month home in the States. Like most Americans, I ate out too much and my portions were always too big. So as I was sitting around my first day back home, I decided that I should make some changes in my diet.

So I have a new-found commitment to health. I am not trying to go over-board on strict diet, but just in general eating more fruits and vegetables, and trying not to drink as much pop or eat as much junk food. Also, I was going to start running feveryday and trying to play basketball or lift weights whenever possible.

My roommate Kevin adopted a similar attitude upon his return from the States, so during the first couple of days both of us were reading up on ways to eat healthier. I ended up reading several articles about the health benefits of drinking green tea and eating the seeds of grapes (both of which I have tried to incorporate into my eating).

So far the new eating habits have gone well, but the physical activity is another story. In the above passage I wrote "was", because everything was going great. I was playing ball, running and lifting a bit...until I sprained my ankle.

Initially the injury hurt pretty bad and for the last 30 hours I have been icing and elevating the ankle as much as possible. I have also been reading up on the anatomy of the ankle and how best to treat, repair, and prevent ankle injuries. So to connect with the title...between reading up on ways to have a healthier diet and to treat sports injuries I feel like I have been in med. school for the past week.

But alas, I am not a doctor, however God is. So a prayer request goes out for my ankle, so it would heal properly and quickly (according to God's will of course). I especially ask for this because I am supposed to help lead basketball camp in 9 days. I also ask for prayers for this camp as me, Sam, Kevin, and James prepare for it. May God bless all of you!

Mark

1 comment:

Kris said...

Hey Mark, I really enjoyed seeing you when you were in Ames it sounded like everything was going great for you. I'm glad you made it safely "home." You truly are using God's given talents in your teaching and in the whole experience. May God continue to bless you and help you continue to get healthy I know how much you love to play ball.
God Bless, Kris