Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

That's right boy and girls we are getting close to the big day. The celebration of the birth of the Savior, who has changed our lives, and given us life, hope, peace, and joy. I would like to use this entry to reflect a little as I prepare for Christmas.

Christmas is such a wonderful time. I remember my first year here in Taiwan. I was not sure if I should stay for a second year. I was still debating if God was calling me to serve overseas in a ESL setting, or to return to the States to teach, allowing me to interact with students in my native language and to be closer to family and friends. I remember fearing being away on the holidays would be difficult and possibly push me back home.

The first year Christmas proved to be the opposite. It was a time where I was sure that this is where God wanted me. All of the Bible Studies, skits, Christmas caroling and other activities really encouraged me. Christmas was busy, but exciting. It was full of joy, but not secular or focused on getting and receiving gifts. The focus was the joy that Jesus brings us, and sharing that with others.

Last year provided the same environment, and now I am in the midst of preparation for this Christmas. One thing that fills December is skit practice. Each year the school asks the 8 American teachers at the high school to perform a skit for the entire school (over 2000 students). We take time to meet, plan, and then usually have 3 or 4 practices to polish things. This year our skit for school is based on the cheesy Disney movie "High School Musical". The kids out here love the film and we have adapted songs and the message to point to Jesus and following him.

The second skit I will be in this year will be for our Friday Night Bible Study and Salvation Lutheran Church. All 13 Americans will be involved in this skit and it is based on the parable of the tenants. The master is gone and sends servants to check up on the vineyard. The tenants beat up the servants, and then the master finally sends his son...who the tenants kill. Of course we tie this in to Christmas and how we remember Jesus coming as a baby, who ultimately came to take our punishment for sin. We had our first practice for this skit tonight and will have 2 more before we perform it.

Other highlights of the Christmas season include Christmas caroling and Christmas parites. I will have the opportunity to go Christmas caroling 2 times this year. Once on Friday December 21st, in the city, and the second on December 24th here near the school.

There are several other Christmas parties or activities that I will have as well, including get togethers with friends, and leading the Sunday School students in Christmas songs.

This coming Saturday will be the annual Christmas potluck. Many teachers and friends from school will get together to eat and watch a Christmas movie. I will be making my famous chili, known out here as "Smoked Chili", but that's a story for another entry.

Ahhhhh Christmas...the intensity...the joy...the fun...God is with us.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I love the last line. Amen to that! And thank God He is Emmanuel!