Sunday, August 14, 2005

It Starts...



Well here I sit, the evening before I leave. Today was a really good day. Trinity Lutheran in Des Moines had a commissioning service for me this morning. It went really well, and was emotional. My dad commissioned me, and the vicars and leaders of the congregation laid their hands on me. I went back to my seat to give my crying mother a hug as we sang the closing hymn “Go My Children, With My Blessing.” My older sister was there, and my grandparents were there as well. Words really can’t describe how wonderful it is to have such amazing support from family and friends, both in church this morning and throughout the country.


I am a bundle of emotions right now. Excited, nervous, sad, and happy. I just finished playing cards with my parents, sister and grandparents. My team cleaned up in both Pinochole and Hand and Foot, so I guess I am going out on top, ha! The laughter and joy as we played cards one last time before I leave was truly a blessing.

Next time I write will be from Taiwan. I do not know what the future will bring, but I do trust the Lord will be guiding me. I can feel the Lord as He has shaped my ways to get me to this point. So much of my life I wondered and worried about what I was going to do with my life and career…always questioning what I was doing. But as I sit here pondering the future and remembering the past, I can feel God calling me to this mission.

I ask you all to pray for the safety of me, my fellow missionaries to Taiwan, and all other missionaries embarking tomorrow and this week. Pray also that we could adjust to the cultures we will soon be immersed in, and pray for our friends and families that we leave behind. For all of you departing soon, you have my prayers.

Now I would like to leave you with the following words. They are from a song on a CD that was sent to me for encouragement during my final days of preparation (again, thank you Anna). It really became a theme song for me in the past week, and I want to share it with all of you.

A Servant’s Prayer

Christ before me to guide me on the way,
Christ beside me so I am not alone,
Christ within me to give me words to say,
Christ behind me to bring the harvest home.

May each word from my lips be a song of good news.
Every touch of my hand be a gift of grace.
Every beat of my heart be a prayer to you.
And the sum of my days be a life of praise.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I pray for a safe trip for you Mark! God Bless