Saturday, October 29, 2005

Ready, set, "Jeye-oh"!


Sam hands off to me in the 4X100 Meter Relay

These past two weekends the school has had a track meet. Last Friday was a preliminary competition for the students. This Friday and Saturday were the finals. The entire event was a lot of fun. I saw many of my students run, and I had a chance to run in a couple of events as well. (oh yeah, "Ja-eye-oh" a chinese equivalent to go. In a race you would yell "Mark Jio")

There were two events in which only teachers ran, and I ran in both of them. One was the 1500 meter run (which is just a little shorter than a mile), and also the 4X100 meter relay. The mile was a lot of fun, and I was the second teacher to finish.

In the 4X100, I ran with the English department. This event kicked off the finals competition on Friday morning. The atmosphere was electric, and it was so much fun. Sam, Mike, and Jackson (a Taiwanese English teacher) were also on the team. We won the event, and apparently I ran pretty fast. This is shocking because I do not find myself to be the fleetest of foot.

All of this took me back to my days of running track in high school. I really enjoyed the experience, and also it was a great opportunity to see my students outside of the classroom.

I also had a chance to learn just how out of shape I am. My muscles were aching, especially after I ran in the 4X100. I seriously thought I pulled muscles or snapped something. I guess my body does not work the same way as it did in high school.

And now for new pictures. I have some pictures from our vacation to Kaoshung, which we took with the church group. I also have several pictures from the track meet this past weekend.

No comments: