Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Quick Hits: Scooter Repairs

I had the realization the other day that while living here in Taiwan there have been and are many small stories and every day examples that show cultural differences between life in the U.S. and life in Taiwan. They don't make for much of a story or a long blog entry, but to me they are just interesting in and of the themselves.

I decided that I would start to write about these things as they happen in my life (or as I remember them from the past), and title these entries "Quick Hits." I think the title will help remind me that I don't have to write a novel to describe the situation, and consequently I hope to write them more often...that's the plan at least.

Today's quick hit is about repairs. I don't know about you, but in the United States I was always afraid to take my car into the repair shop...even for an oil change. I usually had to pay an arm and a leg and was afraid that the person would try to tell to me fix something that did not really need fixing. (A disclaimer on this, I did have some good experiences with a church member of my Dad's church and my great Uncle's car dealership).

However, here in Taiwan it is cheap...dirt cheap and fast. The other day I went to get my scooter looked at and had four things I needed to fix. Yes...I was procrastinating about taking it in and probably should have done so earlier. My left mirror was coming loose, I needed an oil change, my odometer/spedometer was broken, and I wanted a new basket for the front.

Without an apointment, I pulled up at 10:00 am and told the mechanic what I needed. He told me that it would be finished by noon. When I returned to get the scooter, the total price for the mirror adjustment, oil change, new wire for the odometer/spedometer, and new basket was a little under $15.00 (US).

I never feel stressed out going to get my scooter fixed, and the people are always really good about getting it done quickly and cheaply.

No comments: