Sunday, May 10, 2009

Third times the charm?

In a couple of weeks I will be going to a flamencoe dancing show here in Chia-Yi. Now, normally I am not much a show/dancing type of person. However, several co-workers are going, and it is the chance to get out of the normal routine and do something cultural.

In the hustle and bustle of every day life, it is hard to get out and do things. Rather I often find myself going through the same weekly schedule, without much change. This year I have tried this year to make an effort to get out of this and to see a show every once in awhile.

For the year, I am 0 for 2 regarding theatrical performances. Both attempts were massive strike outs and provide even more evidence that living in a foreign country is a humbling experience. Now, a little disclaimer. I do not actively find information about shows, but rather hear about them from other teachers and decide weather or not to attend based on that. Second, being that these shows are advertised in Chinese, it is not always clear what one is getting oneself into.

Now for the stories. Back in the fall, I went to a show that I thought would be a traditional Taiwanese style dance show. It was a Saturday night, and I thought it would be nice to get out and go to the theater. Upon my arrival to the show, I discovered that the show would not be traditional Taiwanese dancing, but rather a modern art performance to showcase frictionless movement. This is a fancy description for a show that consisted of older men in nothing but their underwear, greased up with baby oil, sliding around on a baby oiled stage. I kid you not...this was the show.

Being that I bought the ticket for the show, I decided to give it a chance. But based on the description I just gave you, I am sure you can guess what my opinion was. As I watched, I hoped to pick up a story line or practice my Chinese as I listened to the play. However the only sounds were music playing in the background, with the occasional grunts released by the old men. There were never words.

Needless to say this was not at all what I was expecting and I did leave half-way through the show, vowing that I would try to get more information about a show before attending again.

The second theater experience came this spring. It was a cultural show with ballet, dancing, songs and mini dramas. It had beautiful costumes, impressive twirling dance moves, and lively music. It also, turns out that the show was centered around a pro-Buddhist message, and had a political agenda for a group that is being persecuted in China. I remember one of the songs have the written English translation referring to the Buddha being the savior and lord that leads to life. I just shook my head, and couldn't believe I made another blunder at the theater. I feel bad that my dollars went to support this play that had a message contrary to the truth of Christ.

Again though, these examples show two more cultural mishaps in the every day life of living in a foreign country. At the time they were unfortunate but now they make for interesting stories and hopefully will guide decisions in the future.

So with those two stories in the background, it is with caution that I am hoping for a better experience at the theater this time. I have been assured from other teachers, who checked with Taiwanese friends, that this show will not feature, old men in baby oil, or buddhist doctrine. I am looking forward to an enjoyable show with bright costumes and energetic dancing. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Rebekah House said...

Hey, I was at both of those shows and ok, they were pretty bad, but they made for great stories. This one is not going to be buddhist and there is no nudity- i promise!